Friday, August 7, 2009

Things I miss, in no particular order.  (expect for the first one).

1.  Chickfila.  There is no getting around this.  I think about Chickfila more than I think about anything else- that includes my job, my family, my own well being.   At least once a day, it crosses my mind that I would do almost anything for chickfila chicken strips, waffles fries, and a large coke with extra ice.  Or a sandwich, wheat bun, extra pickles on the side.  Talking about it now was a terrible idea, because my heart actually aches with emptiness.

2. Hot showers.  Though the cold shower is refreshing at times, there is something to be said for shaving your legs in warm water and not having to worry that all of your hair is going to grow back immediately.

3.Skim milk.  Dear god, I would kill someone for an ice cold glass of mayfield right now. When I get home, I might drink milk with every meal just because I can.

4. Common courtesy.  I might look like a gringa, but I live here, you Nicaraguan jerks- don't think that just because you are brown means that you can cut in line in front of me every where we go.  Don't even think about it... I will tell you how I feel- because- I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT ME INFRONT OF ME.

5. Leaving my clothes in the dryer.  At home, you do a load of laundry, and you can leave your clothes in the dryer for a few hours and not worry about them.  That is not the case here.  Patricia, I am convinced, watches all of us as we wash our clothes.  Once that buzzer goes off, if we aren't there to retrieve our ropas, she swoops in and acquires more bounty for her bazaar.  I am missing, actually, all of my socks.

6.  Fake mexican food.   Soft Tacos, cheese dip... processed magic.   In 19 days, I will sit down at El Azteca and tears of joy just might fill my eyes.

God bless America. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly:

    I got your blog address from your Dad, this morning. I am proud of you.We all are proud of you. I know you are doing good work.
    Here are some responses, in no particular order, to your "miss" list.

    1. The Chick-filas are waiting in abundance in the next life, or at least when you get back to a big city. They are so good. I don't even add anything to them.

    4. Read David Sedaris' book "Me Talk Pretty One Day.' Sedaris is an American living in Froggieland (France) and people around him talk as if he isn't there: French people, because they assume he is a tourist, and English-speaking tourists because they assume he is French.Very funny book.

    However,the correct thing to say to Spanish speakers who jump in line in front of you is:

    "Excúseme, mi amigo muy estimado, pero usted acaba de saltar en línea delante de mí, y si usted no mueve su culo gordo yo lo moverá para usted con estos cargadores de crap-retroceso con el pie. ¡Dios bendice, y tiene día agradable!"

    (Excuse me, my very dear friend, but you have just jumped in line in front of me, and if you will not move your fat arse I will move it for you with these crap-kicking boots. God bless, and have nice day!)

    2. I never worry about shaving my legs. Come on, girrl, get all European on us.

    3. And Mayfield chocolate milk. The drink of the gods. With chocolate-chip cookies to dunk in it. Those Aztecs or Mayans were on to something.

    6. Fake Mexican food? Taco Bell, maybe.

    5. As the Aussies say, "Gone troppo." It means "gone native," or live like the locals. Steal Patricia's clothes and hold 'em for ransom. It may not be the Christian thing to do, but you might feel better.

    When are you going to be back again in the navel of Civilization-Hotlanta. James Joyce thought it was Dublin, but he's dead, so what does he know? "Finnegan's Wake" could make a long stay interminable, but I suppose you don't want that do you?

    Are you teaching or preaching in Nicaragua? It doesn't matter which; they are both the same thing if you do them properly.

    Tha's it fer now. I'll add you to my prayer list.

    God Bless,
    John Boyle

    ReplyDelete